MEHC members have a strong commitment to helping to create environmentally friendly affordable housing (EFAH) in Marin County. To do that, MEHC holds the following beliefs:
- Marin needs more housing options for a individuals and families with a variety of income levels, especially for those who work in Marin’s retail, health care and service sectors, and for our seniors and persons with disabilities.
- The greatest need for affordable housing is for low and very low income families and individuals. Moderate-income units, while needed, are close to market rate in price and may be developable without subsidies.
- Affordable housing should be developed at infill and mixed-use locations where minimal or no adverse environmental impacts would occur.
- Affordable housing should be located near jobs, transit, and other services.
- Communities in Marin are interconnected and as such, planning for affordable housing needs to occur in a regional context.
- Affordable housing needs a variety of public policy tools , including appropriately zoned sites, and funding on a local, state and federal level.